Vermont: From the Ground Up
Vermont, the 14th State of the Union, was green before being green was cool!
No offense to our first lady, Michelle Obama, but Vermont was planting organic and community gardens by school children and adults alike long before the White House lawn was tilled into garden space! Our green initiatives don’t stop with our vegetables. Vermont has many policies in place to promote efficiency, alternative energy as well as reduce pollution. We are proud to say that so far we have succeeded better than any other state!
Recreation is a big part of who we are as well. Vermont is known as the ski capital of the East, with 18 ski resorts and mountains to choose from offering downhill skiing and snowboarding alike. Besides our Green Mountains, another of Vermont’s treasured resources is the numerous lakes and ponds. The deep lakes were carved out of the rock by the glaciers but most of the lakes and ponds were formed by glacial deposits that created dams. These bodies of water are usually shallow and therefore warmer than the deep lakes. There are also many ‘man-made’ lakes, or reservoirs, that dot the state. No matter what the season, recreation is #1 in Vermont.
Vermont boasts more than its beautiful natural resources. We are also home to world renown businesses including Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream, Burton Snowboards, Cabot Cheese, IBM, BF Goodrich Aerospace Aircraft Integrated Systems, and Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, just to name a few.
Vermont Tops the Chart
Year after year, Vermont and its great cities continue to receive awards and accolades for lifestyle, health, and “green” living.
• 2014 - VT Ranks #2 in Best State to Live in by CNBC
• 2013 - Vergennes Ranks #3 for Best Town in VT to Raise a Family
• 2013 - Vermont Ranks #2 for Quality of Life
• 2012 Healthiest State in the Country
• 2011 Healthiest State in the Country
• 2010 Healthiest State in the Country
• 2009 Healthiest State in the Country
• 2010 Greenest State in the Nation
• Burlington: Best Cities for the Next Decade
• Best Place to Raise a Family: Burlington, Vermont
• Forbes 2011 America's Best Downtowns: Burlington
• Beautifully Green Travel - 12 Ecotourism Destinations: Burlington Makes the 2012 List
• Vermont is Ranked One of the Most Peaceful States in 2012
• Burlington Ranked #2 Place to Raise a Family per Parenting Magazine in 2012
Vergennes gets noted in the Boston Globe as a Little City chocked full of History. Click here to read.
Also, be sure to take a look at the Addison County Community Profile full of helpful information covering everything from the arts, to weather, to economics, to local schools, etc.